Sunday Morning Stream

Don Quixote. The good thing about the Kindle is it tells me the percentage read.
I wonder if I can get Edgar Allen Poe's works for free on it.
What was that Stephen King book called? Look it up...S King non-fiction. Skeleton Crew was one, but it's not that one - the one about the history of horror. Or maybe it is. Jenny has published her open letter to King, and other essays. Must write my dissertation. Shall I change it again? To Poe? It's all black. Black and White. Is it really racist that black is bad and good is white? Or is it that night is black and bad things could happen then? What would Bhabha say? Crap. Lots of polysyllabic words stuck together with a conjunction or three. Hate him. Bhabha. Bhabha. Baa Baa Black Sheep, have you any wool? Yes, sir, yes, sir, three bags full. One for the master and one for the dame, and one for the little boy who lives down the lane. What does that mean? Why black? Why does the boy need wool? Going to look it up. Must write today. Not the love story. Caritas. I wonder if they do serve pasta there, or as it is near Venice should I give them fish. Where's the protein? Should have asked Neil about art. [no thoughts for some seconds, then looks to the window] It seems grey today behind the curtains. Why? There was a pink sunset. Get up and write before you forget things.
"Where are you going?"
"To write."
[Door slams]



The above is the flow of my thoughts prior to getting out of bed, in a hurry this morning, as other ideas were beginning to flood in and I needed to put pen to paper. Subsequently, I did a little research (though not too much!).

With regard to the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep it is highly likely that it refers to the taxation of wool in Medieval England, as outlined in Historic-uk's article. I definitely favour this interpretation over the overly-zealous politically correct tosh that has since been bandied about, particularly as there are references to alternative endings where the little boy doesn't get any wool and is crying. I think that the black wool may actually have been prized, as it didn't require dyeing.

The Stephen King book is Danse Macabre, though exactly where my copy is in the pile of boxes that I have still not opened, I can't bear to think.

The Jenny referred to is my friend Jenny Twist. I saw her at a little soiree in the Andalucian mountains last weekend; she was making her way through the gin and I was knee deep in cava. I did remember, though, that she was publishing a new work. It can be found on Amazon, along with her other works. I haven't read it, so no review I'm afraid. 

Caritas and Venice are references to my first attempt at a fictional work. The working title is Even the Darkest Black, which is part of a quote from the book by an artist character. That is why I should have asked Neil Bolton, also at aforementioned do, some questions about art and artists rather than ranting about what a prat I think Russell Brand is. 'Less cava, more thought' - my motto for next year. 

Homi Bhabha is a post-colonial theorist and, in my opinion, a writer who should be forced to produce a Plain English translation alongside his works. I have a deep suspicion (actually it is more than that, I've had to read his stuff for my Masters) that when you strip away the neologisms and ridiculously elaborate  language he employs, he is about as an original a thinker as Russell Brand - and that my friends, from me, is as damning an indictment as you can get. 

Copyright Neil Bolton. Reproduced from url http://neil-bolton.blogspot.com.es/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=15
I couldn't find a sheep in Neil's work, so here is a beautiful charcoal drawing of a horse.
Head of Masterpiece charcoal on paper 38cm x 55cm by Neil Bolton. 

Comments

Popular Posts