A very thought-provoking article in The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/21/on-liberty-edward-snowden-freedom 


At a time when people are fighting for freedom - or liberty, call it what you will - in countries such as Syria and south Sudan, and protests are strong and often violent in Venezuela and Egypt, to name but a few; when women still do not have complete equality in life anywhere in the world, it makes you wonder who we are and where we are going.

I am not a radical by any means (though I consider myself an independent woman and abhore interference in how I choose to run my life); I found the gall rising when I read one contributor's view, only to have it calmed by a subsequent contribution.

www.traveladventures.org







The question of what liberty is, is complex. Some regulations need to be in place to ensure that liberties are not taken with the freedom of others, but the imposition of covert surveillance on ordinary citizens is frighteningly Orwellian. Are we in danger of losing our liberty, have we already lost it, or does hyperbole rule?

T
http://silverandexact.com/2012/02/03/liberty-leading-the-people-eugene-delacroix-1830/

Comments

Popular Posts