Picasso - Just a thought



A child sees the face of its mother, it sees it in a completely different way than other people see it, I am not speaking of the spirit of the mother but of the features and the whole face, the child sees it from very near, it is a large face for the eyes of a small one…Picasso knows the face as a child knows them and the head and the body.
Gertrude Stein – quote in Picasso museum, Málaga.

That is as maybe, but from where I am standing it looks like the child painted it. I know, I know this makes me sound like a heathen, unable to see art in different forms, unappreciative of different methods, movements, blah blah blah, but really, I think Picasso’s art leaves something to be desired. This is my second trip to the Picasso museum and I am still trying to fathom out how this is good art. Why does a man who can paint and draw an object so that it looks like that object (his early works are good in my mind), create pictures of ‘women’ that are out of proportion, contorted with monster feet and the most bizarre bosoms? I fear my mind is closed to the wonder of Picasso, but I will keep trying to understand. (Just as an aside, I don’t ‘get’ Rothko either.)
Have a look at different works on the Picasso Museum website

Comments

Popular Posts